Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I'm Confused

Emma's at that stage of saying "no" when she means "yes" and vice versa. It's not that she forgets the meaning of either word, it's that she herself doesn't know what she wants.

For example, in the car the this morning, I handed her a sippy cup of juice. She shouted "no" and pushed it away. When I took it away, she shouted "juice juice" and reached out for it. I handed it back and she took it and batted it away and onto the back seat (thank goodness for sippy cups - not that she can't make them spill, because she can, but it does slow her down). Then she really hollered because she wanted it, "juice juice." After listening to that for a few blocks, I took off my seatbelt and reached back into the back seat and felt around for it and reached and stretched until I felt it. (And no, I wasn't driving, this was at a stop light, not that I really should have been taking off the seatbelt and reaching into the back seat. But you just try to drive with Screamy McScreamerson in the back seat.) When I handed her the sippy cup, she shouted "no," and threw it on the floor totally out of my reach, with or without a seatbelt. She then screamed for the next 20 minutes.

If she had the words, she would have said, "I want it," "no, I don't want it," "oh yes, I do want it," "no, I really don't want it after all," and then when it finally out of reach, "yes, I really really want it." Since she doesn't have the words to say all that, all I heard was screaming.

No comments: